India’s Kabaddi players with minor injuries allowed to compete in Iran’s Junior World Championship by High Court

Feb 25, 2023

Spread the love

The Delhi High Court has allowed two teenage Kabaddi players, whose participation in the Junior World Kabaddi Championship (boys) had been denied by the authorities due to “minor injuries,” to represent India in the tournament in Iran. According to the high court, the chance to play in the World Cup is something that every player looks forward to in their sporting career.

Both players are in their late teens, and not sending them to represent India, especially at this late stage, would be “demoralising” not only to them but also to the team as a whole, according to the statement.

Justice Prathiba M Singh granted the petition of 17-year-old Rohit Kumar and 19-year-old Narender, and directed the administrator of Kabaddi body AKFI and the Sports Authority of India (SAI) to take immediate steps to obtain the necessary documentation and to take all other necessary steps to allow the petitioners to travel to Iran with the team.

“Considering that these players are part of the junior team which has been selected by respondent no.2 (Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India), they may not even qualify in future to be participating in the junior team inasmuch as they may be age barred owing to the fact that one of the petitioners is 17 years of age and the other is 19 years of age,” the high court said.

Even post the injury and rest for a few days, they have undergone the requisite training and coaching. The petitioners have also recovered as per the doctor who has suggested only gradual training. Both the petitioners are present in court along with their fathers who are willing to send them to participate in the world cup,” the court noted.

It said, “The petitioners having been selected for the world cup, in this background, this court is of the opinion that the petitioners ought to be permitted to participate and represent India in the Junior World Championship (Boys), in Iran. Ordered accordingly.”

The petitioners claimed that they were trained at the SAI’s coaching camp from January 23 to February 12 and that on February 9, during practice at the SAI camp, they suffered minor injuries. While Rohit was injured on the wrist, Narender was injured around the abdomen, and they both went to see a doctor from SAI.

The petitioners were advised to review their case after ten days, after which they were sent to the training camp in Thyagaraj stadium and trained. However, the petitioners claimed that on February 21, the SAI conducted a medical test, following which they were informed by their coach the next day that they would not be joining the Junior World Championship (Boys) team.

MCW Sports Subscribe
Atlético de Madrid announces Mega Casino World (MCW) as Official Regional Partner
Mega Casino World announces Anrich Nortje as the newest Brand Ambassador
Pretoria Capitals announce Mega Casino World as Principal Partner for Season Two of SA20
Mega Casino World announces Anrich Nortje as the newest Brand Ambassador
MCW Sports Joins Gladiators’ Family as Platinum Sponsor for PSL8
MCW Sports - Ambassador
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribe to our Newsletter